Saturday, September 17, 2011

Expect the Unexpected

We were wheeled over to labor and delivery Wednesday night at 10pm. We were excited and nervous but hopeful that all would go well and that I would deliver Wyatt sometime the next day.
The doctors had anticipated that I would be dilated to at least a one and be able to use a non-medical procedure to help me progress. Sadly after I was checked I was not a full one and was not able to do that procedure.
Pitocin it is. Bummer.
They started off slowly but I was soon contracting every 2 to 4 minutes. I wasn't able to sleep. Not because it hurt too bad, just a lot of distractions: Blood pressure checks, alarms on the iv drip going off, etc. After 12 hours of labor the doctor checked me again and I had not progressed past a 1 and still could not get the balloon in place. A few hours later the doctor came back in with news that Wyatt's heart rate had been erratic for over an hour and that after much thought and consulting with the high risk doctor, they thought it was time to get him out. If I had been dilated at all they would have been more patient, but because it looked like we would be in labor for another 12 hours or more. And Wyatt wasn't going to handle that much more labor.
I was disappointed, but the labor had been the hardest of all three labors so I was ready to be done. Just didn't want another caesarian. But God was in control and the doctors that were there were given to my by Him to take care of both Wyatt and myself. So I chose to trust their decision. Very shortly I was wheeled to the operating room.
I was really nervous. Last time I had a caesarian I was totally under. The idea of being awake for it was a bit menacing. But they got me all ready and let Mitch come in and then a few minutes and some very uncomfortable pushing by the doctor on my belly later, Wyatt was born and the neonatologist was looking him over. Mitch got to see him before they took him to the NICU. He said he looked just like Kennedi. It was weird not to get to see him or hold him after he was born. He didn't cry or anything either. They had to help him breath at first. All very strange but God took good care of him. And the pain of rest of the procedure soon distracted me from wondering how he was.
After being monitored for 2 hours they let me go see Wyatt in the NICU. He didn't seem too small at the time. All the wires and tubes going in and out of him were a bit daunting but he seemed to be doing well and was in good hands. So with the help of my friend morphine, I let them do their jobs and went back to the room to sleep.
More about Wyatt to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment